Duration: One-day trip
Famous for its tea and blessed with a rich history and a lush landscape, Shizuoka is a place where nature and culture converge. Spend a day relaxing in scenery unique to the area and experiencing the local lifestyle up close.
Begin the day with a visit to a tea farmer who grows and sells Kamairi tea on the Makinohara plateau, one of the leading tea-producing areas in Japan. The tea plantation is located close to Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport and some 40 minutes by car from the city of Shizuoka. With the farmer as your guide, enjoy a tour of the tea fields and, if the season is right, try your hand at picking the fresh leaves. The green bushes stretching in rows across the landscape are an impressive sight. Enjoy tasting different teas on a raised terrace, an extraordinary space that stands in the center of this beautiful tea plantation. Simple snacks and breakfast are available upon request.
From the elegance of the tea fields it is a 30-minute drive to Kakegawa Station. Here a train chartered just for you is waiting. Sit back and enjoy a delicious bento boxed lunch and some local sake on your very own train. From the window, take in the ever-changing landscape of the Japanese countryside and the old-time atmosphere of the rural stations. A section of the railway line is planted with cherry trees that burst into blossom in spring.
Your final destination is Okuni Jinja, said to be the first shrine ever erected in the Enshu region of western Shizuoka Prefecture. Here you experience a formal sanpai (shrine homage) under the special guidance of the head priest. Within the shrine grounds grow trees for every season. There are numerous photo opportunities, including a river and a red bridge that spans it.
The day ends with a return to Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport (about 40 minutes by car) or to Shizuoka (about one hour)
A relaxing one-day tour (arrival and departure Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport (or other transport hub))
10:00 - Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport
(15 minutes by car)
10:15 - Tea tasting (with breakfast) among the tea fields of Kamaricha Shibamoto (1~1.5 hr)* With Mr. Shibamoto as your guide, visit a local tea farmer, tour a tea plantation and, if the season allows, experience tea picking.
Enjoy tea tasting on a raised terrace, an extraordinary space that stands in the center of the tea fields.
A simple breakfast is available upon request.
(30 minutes by car)
13:00 - Kakegawa Station to Totomi-Ichinomiya Station on the Tenhama Line (about 30 min)
* The Tenryu Hamanako Railway Co. offers a chartered train with a food and drink/local sake option. Light lunches such as bento boxes can be arranged.
* Enjoy the Japanese countryside and old-time atmosphere of rural stations.
* Includes the Sakuragi-Haranoya section of the railway line flanked by cherry trees that blossom in spring.
(8 minutes by car)
14:00 - Formal sanpai (shrine homage) at Okuni Jinja (1~1.5 hr)
* At what is believed to be the oldest shrine in the Enshu region, experience a formal sanpai (shrine homage) under the guidance of the head priest.
* Spend time among the beautiful trees in the grounds of shrine. Depending on the season, enjoy cherry blossoms, new summer leaves or autumn colors. From the river that runs through the grounds and the red bridge that spans it, there are many wonderful photo opportunities.
→ About 40 minutes by car to Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport
→ About one hour by car to Hamamatsu Station or Shizuoka Station